Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A fat kid's revenge...

     Hello, my name is Nick and I am a former fat kid. Now when I say that someone out there in the world is thinking to themselves, Nick that is a bit to strong, or Nick that is not politically correct. I would say to that, you are right, but I am talking about myself, so I am going to allow myself to call my former self, a "fat kid!" Besides, there were plenty of people in my past that would call me that, so I think I am allowed to say that about me. As a former fat kid I can tell you that as a child I hated to run. Not just hated running, but loathed it. Which is a really strong way of saying hate. I remember I hated it so much that whenever it was presidential physical fitness testing time, I would literally get sick to my stomach. For those who may not know what this is (presidential physical fitness testing) it is a series of athletic test to see where you rank with kids across America. If you did well in this testing you would get a badge and maybe even a medal, and you would get your name on a board in the gym area, it was a pretty big deal. Whenever this time rolled around, I got really nervous and self conscience. I was very self aware as a kid and I was aware that I was not great at physical fitness test. The test consisted of pull-ups, sit-ups, sit and reach, and the mile run! Yes, I said it, the infamous mile run. Oh yeah, every chubby kids nightmare, the mile run. I remember this as if it was yesterday, I remember the PE teacher blowing the whistle for all the kids to line up, I distinctly remember trying to come up with an illness that would get me out of this torture; Unfortunately, I also wasn't very good at lying. So the whistle would blow and I started off really strong, I even kept up with the athletic kids for at least 31 1/2 yards and then my legs would burn, my heart would beat out of my chest and I would get cold sweats! Then the walk/run torture would begin. As if my body feeling like it may explode at any moment was not enough, then the athletic kids would begin lapping you. I remember their faces as they would lap me, they looked as if they were enjoying this torture, while i was struggling every step. Then as I would draw near to the end of the torture, everyone else was sitting and enjoying their cup of  water. Then finally I would cross the finish line, last, yes, last. Then the PE teacher did something that added to my dismay and embarrassment, they would yell out your time, "...14:32 Nick!" That's right, it took me almost 15 minutes to run one, single, solitary mile. That is why a few months ago when Grady asked me if I would be interested in running a half marathon, I almost threw up in my mouth. Because all those feelings from my childhood came rushing back. The embarrassment from finishing last, the looks from the athletic kids, the yelling out of my time by the PE teacher. I felt like I was reliving my childhood all over again. Then it hit me, I am not that fat kid anymore. Truth be told, over the last few years, I have really gotten into great shape due to diet, cross training/cross fit, and being consistent with the previous. This could be an opportunity for the fat kid to get revenge! So I agreed and the journey began. Truth be told, running is still a challenge for me, but it is a challenge I am willing to face head on. Also, I have some homies who are in the fight with me. I take encouragement from, Proverbs 27:17 "Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." Running really is making me sharper, the guys I'm running with are making me sharper! Doing something that challenges you to the core, is very hard, and it requires much of me, but I think it is worth much, besides, this fat kid is getting his chance to get some revenge! So half marathon, challenge accepted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment